Friday, December 26, 2014

When I Pray I Feel My Heart Go Deeper

There are certain things that are very personal to me.  One of them is prayer.  I've never prayed out loud in public before.

Now first let me explain that i grew up in a church where people would pray for 5 minutes or more  during the church service.  I never understood that.  Nor did i understand those long drawn out prayers that asked for this and that (things) and made promises (for those things).  I remember thinking "who is this person praying for or to?"  "Is he praying for himself, for me or what he thinks he should do?" Because it always was a man.  Women never prayed in our church.  Not during the service anyway.

Last weekend i had the opportunity to be what is called Platform Assistant in my (now) church (the PA basically keeps the service moving along).  I wasn't nervous about it - however when i read the order of service, i realized that i had to pray out loud, in public, in front of everyone.  Huh.

I thought about it.  I took a deep breath and this is the prayer that i spoke.  It is one of my favorites that i am going to share with you now.

Great Spirit,
Teach me how to trust,
my heart,
my mind,
my intuition,
my inner knowing,
the senses of my body,
the blessings of my spirit,
teach me to trust these things,
so that I may enter into MY sacred space,
and LOVE beyond my FEAR,
and thus walk in balance
with the passing of each glorious sun.

(Lakota Prayer)

Yes! God, Great Spirit, is showing ME everyday - how to trust and I am Loving beyond my Fear everyday.

And when i pray, i feel my heart go deeper into my God.

No comments: